THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED LINKS. LEARN MORE ON MY DISCLOSURE PAGE
Zebra Dome desserts are one of the most popular not only in Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge Boma restaurant but in the whole of Walt Disney World.
If you have dietary restrictions the good news is that Zebra Dome are available in a gluten free version. The picture above is the special gluten free version which my husband was served. Vegetarians and vegans beware – the recipe does contain gelatin so it is not vegetarian friendly.
If you want to try making these at home here is the recipe. They are not the simplest thing to make but if you just can’t wait for your next Boma dessert fix then try this for yourself! Here is the recipe via Disneyfoodblog
1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold ? of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (¼” thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
The recipe does look very complicated and time consuming but for more experienced cooks out there I am sure it is worth a try!
I have never tried this but for your vegetarians out there who do not want to use gelatin I would imagine that you can use agar agar as an alternative.
For those of you who have not yet experienced the delights of Boma you really must try and dine at this fabulous buffet restaurant next time you visit the World. Once Boma was one of Disney World’s best kept secrets but these days it is getting more and more popular.
Boma restaurant is located in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Boma serves a breakfast and dinner buffet menu. Dinner is served between 4.30 and 9.30pm.
Prices for Boma vary according to when you dine there (peak or regular season) and even which day of the week you dine there. Don’t you just wish that Disney restaurants would not do this? Anyway the adult price range for dinner is from $38.33 to $42.59 and for children (ages 3-9) the buffet is priced between $18.10 and $20.23. Taxes are included in these prices but gratuity is extra. You also get a standard non-alcoholic beverage.