Boma Zebra Dome Recipe
Want to make the Boma Zebra Domes at home? Now you can with this fabulous Zebra Dome recipe.
If you are missing these delicious Animal Kingdom Lodge Boma desserts you can now make them at home!
Zebra Dome desserts are one of the most popular items, not only in Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge Boma restaurant but in the whole of Walt Disney World.
What Are Zebra Domes?
The Zebra Dome was first found at Disney’s Boma Restaurant in Animal Kingdom Lodge. They have been part of the Boma buffet dessert section for many years.
Word got our about how amazing the Zebra Domes are. Now you can also buy Zebra Domes at Mara, which is the quick service restaurant in the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
If you have dietary restrictions the good news is that Zebra Dome are available in a gluten-free version.
Do Zebra Domes Have Alcohol?
Yes, traditional Zebra Domes do contain alcohol. If you want to have an alcohol free version you could omit the Kahlua Liqueur from the Boma recipe and substitute it with orange juice or add more of the coffee liquid.
Are Zebra Domes Gluten Free
The traditional Zebra Domes served in Boma are not gluten -free. However, these are available on request.
The picture above is the special Zebra Dome gluten-free version which the chef’s at Boma created especially for me. Disney restaurants are great at catering for any special dietary needs.
Are Zebra Domes Vegetarian?
Vegetarians and vegans beware – the traditional Zebra Dome recipe does contain gelatin so it is not vegetarian friendly.
I have never tried this but for vegetarians out there who do not want to use gelatin, I would imagine that you can use agar-agar as an alternative.
Zebra Dome Recipe
If you want to try making these at home here is the recipe. They are not the simplest thing to make but if you just can’t wait for your next Boma dessert fix then try this for yourself!
1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
1. Melt the milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream until it forms soft peaks.
3. Mix the egg yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set a bowl over a hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold one cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour the mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (¼” thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate-covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
The recipe is quite involved as there are various stages to get the exact authentic Zebra Dome taste and appearance.
For those of you who have not yet experienced the delights of Boma you really must try and dine at this fabulous buffet restaurant next time you visit Disney World.
Once Boma was one of Disney World’s best-kept secrets but these days it is getting more and more popular.
Boma restaurant is located in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Boma serves a breakfast and dinner buffet menu. You will find the Zebra Domes at the dinner buffet.
Dinner is served between 4.30 and 9.30pm.
Prices for Boma vary according to when you dine there (peak or regular season) and even which day of the week you dine there.
Don’t you just wish that Disney restaurants would not do this? Anyway the adult price range for dinner is $49 and for children (ages 3-9) it is $27.
Taxes are included in these prices but gratuity is extra. You also get a standard non-alcoholic beverage with your buffet.
Have to tried making Zebra Domes at home?